Education for Sustainable Development in the Caribbean: Pedagogy, Processes and Practices offers a unique perspective on educational approaches to creating a sustainable world. Lorna Down and Therese Ferguson complement their theoretical discussions with practical, “real world” engagements. Case studies and current research ground teaching and learning for sustainability and enable diverse communities of learners, inside and outside of classrooms, to transform their societies.
With its emphasis on the crucial role of education for the transformation to a peaceful, just, inclusive and environmentally sustainable world, this book is a valuable resource for students, lecturers and researchers working in education for sustainable development across disciplines. It also is a significant text for those working in community-based, non-governmental and intergovernmental fields.
Education for Sustainable Development in the Caribbean: Pedagogy, Processes and Practices effectively addresses global sustainable development goals, the challenges of the climate crisis, environmental degradation, and social and economic injustices. In exploring and critically examining educational approaches to revisioning and transforming humanity’s relationships with self, others and the environment, Down and Ferguson distil what it means to educate for sustainability and to educate for the care and respect for all of life.
List of Abbreviations / vii
Acknowledgements / ix
Introduction / xi
1. Understanding the Concept of Education for Sustainable Development / 1
2. Values Education for Sustainability / 20
3. Key Issues: Climate Change, Disaster Risk Management, Peace and Global Citizenship / 31
4. Education for Sustainable Development in Teacher Education / 46
5. Education for Sustainable Development Pedagogy / 56
6. Revisioning Assessment in Education for Sustainable Development / 85
7. Exemplars of Education for Sustainable Development Processes and Practices / 98
Conclusion / 116
References / 119
Index / 131
- 2022, Finalist, INDIES Book of the Year Awards
- 2023, Finalist, Int'l Book Awards, Edu./Academic
- 2023, Finalist, PROSE Awards